Are Your Salespeople Great Storytellers?
- by Elay Cohen
- November 26, 2013
- Sales Process
SalesHood - Sales Enablement Platform
Storytelling is a great way to establish credibility with customers and prospects. I do believe that the best salespeople are the best storytellers. A great customer story told by a credible and passionate sales executive is the surefire way to build trust and ignite urgency in a sales call or sales campaign.
Here are some tips on customer storytelling you can apply today in your customer meetings.
Tips to Remember
1. Share stories that are personalized, emotional and quantifiable.
2. Start with an emotional hook that grabs attention and generates early excitement for your story.
3. Brand your story or create a story “headline” to make it more memorable.
4. Include any personal stories or anecdotes to make the story that much more personalized.
5. Give enough background that enables your audience to relate.
6. Always be curious and ask open-ended questions.
7. Pause in meetings to check in with customers to see if they’re getting what they expected from their time investment.
8. Make eye contact with your customer when you’re telling your customer story.
9. Work the room. You’ll know in the first sixty seconds if the story is hitting the mark. Stop. Check in with the room. Ask if the story is the right story or if you’re sharing the right amount of detail.
10. Don’t read the slides.
11. Make sure the story maps to the role and industry preference of the buyer.
12. Make sure the story you’re telling is a reference and is willing to be a reference. Your customer will most likely do a back door reference too.
Run the Customer Story Telling Sales Huddle Today
Sales Managers, ff you want to get a jump start on improving your sales teeam’s customer storytelling skills, join us in SalesHood by running a Customer Story Telling Sales Huddle. You can get started in minutes and have it augment your next sales meeting. We’ve created best practice sales videos, a structured meeting agenda, self-assessments and a way to build your own customer stories database too. We’ve created a way for you to engage your sales teams in exercises to build their customer storytelling muscle. This Sales Huddle is fun too – who doesn’t like to hear a great story???
I welcome you to partner with us to take your team’s storytelling skills to the next level.
Elay Cohen is the author of SalesHood: How Winning Sales Managers Inspire Sales Teams to Succeed and the co-founder of SalesHood, a SaaS sales enablement platform and community for sales professionals. Elay is the former Senior Vice President of Sales Productivity at Salesforce. Recognized as the company's "2011 Top Executive", and credited for creating and executing all of Salesforce's sales productivity programs that accelerated its growth from $300M to $3B+ in revenue. The sales training and sales support innovations delivered over these years by Elay and his team to thousands of sales reps resulted in unprecedented hypergrowth. He also created the Partner Relationship Management (PRM) category.
Based on my experience leading Sales Productivity at Salesforce, accelerating revenue from $300M to $3B, we’ve packaged our proven methodology into SalesHood, helping client after client achieve record breaking revenue growth.
Experience SalesHood In ActionRequest A Trial